We are proud to announce the upcoming 2022 LAN Summit! Join the LAN on November 9 and 10 from 12PM-3PM ET. You don’t want to miss this opportunity to discuss and learn about health equity, accountable care, and alternative payment models with some of the leading voices in healthcare innovation. The Summit is also when we will be releasing the LAN 2021 APM Measurement Effort results.
During this year’s LAN Town Hall, a diverse panel of providers, payers, clinicians, purchasers, and other stakeholders shared their insights and perspectives on accountable care! Throughout the event, attendees provided feedback on the definition for Accountable Care and contributed their thoughts on the Commitment Curve framework.
If you missed the Town Hall, watch the opening address and panel here: 2022 LAN Town Hall – (hcp-lan.org).
To learn more about the breakout session discussions and the event’s highlights, explore the Town Hall Bulletin.
The Health Equity Advisory Team (HEAT) is developing a new guidance document addressing social risk adjustment and the ways it can be implemented within value-based care settings. The document will discuss additional topics including data collection and tools for payment incentives, stakeholder-specific recommendations, and the limitations of risk adjustment.
The LAN’s podcast, Spotlight on Action, is now available for listening on all major podcast platforms. Search for Spotlight on Action or HCPLAN and subscribe today to be informed when each new podcast drops and be the first to hear the LAN’s featured stories!
Judy Zerzan-Thul: New Spotlight on Action Episode!
We recently welcomed Washington State’s Chief Medical Officer and the LAN’s new co-chair of the Care Transformation Executive Forum, Judy Zerzan-Thul, to the Spotlight on Action podcast where she discussed her thoughts on APM adoption and touched on additional topics such as state-level innovation, health equity, APM design, and patient care.
“There is so much work to do in this space. And I’m hopeful that we’re starting
to make some progress and we’ll see the fruits of that investment in the next
several years.” Judy Zerzan-Thul, HCPLAN Co-Chair
To listen to Judy Zerzan-Thul’s Spotlight on Action episode, click here: Spotlight on Action – Episode 6 – Dr. Judy Zerzan-Thul – Health Care Payment Learning & Action Network (hcp-lan.org)
The LAN is building a repository of meaningful patient stories that can help shed light on the personal experiences of healthcare patients and the importance of the LAN’s efforts in accountable care and health equity. We are also gathering lessons learned and successful approaches to value-based care that can be shared across the stakeholder landscape and provide other organizations tangible, real-world takeaways that they can use as they make their way up the accountable care curve.
If you have a suggestion or a lead on a patient story, please let us know and we will follow up with you. We’d love to share it in our newsletter, podcast, or on our website.
LAN in the News
STCs: California’s New Population Health Management
Read: California Details Roadmap for Population Health: California Details Roadmap for Population Health | Healthcare Innovation (hcinnovationgroup.com)
• California, a participating state in the LAN’s State Transformation Collaboratives, recently published a population health management (PHM) strategy and roadmap which included information about the new Population Health Service. The Population Health Service will aim to expand access to health and social services in order to support person-centered care.
CMMI Director Liz Fowler: Health Equity Plans
Read: Required Health Equity Plans: CMMI: Expect more value-based care payment models to require health equity plans | Fierce Healthcare
• Liz Fowler, the director of Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation CMMI, addressed the upcoming requirements for participating in value-based care payment models at AHIP’s 2022 National Conference on Health Policy and Government Health Programs. Fowler stated that creating health equity plans that outline how to treat underserved patient populations is likely to be a permanent component of payment models moving forward.
CMS Strategy Refresh
Read: Three Pillars for Medicare’s Value-Based Care Strategy https://www.healthaffairs.org/content/forefront/medicare-value-based-care-strategy-alignment-growth-and-equity
• CMS has announced its goal of having all people with Traditional Medicare in an accountable care relationship with a health care provider by 2030 in its CMS Innovation Center strategy refresh and vision for Medicare. The Value-Based Care strategy for Medicare is comprised of the three main pillars of alignment, growth, and equity.
CMS Administrator Chiquita Brooks-LaSure
Read: Serving Rural Communities: https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/press-releases/cms-proposes-rule-advance-health-equity-improve-access-care-and-promote-competition-and-transparency
• “CMS is taking action to ensure that people with Medicare in rural and underserved areas have improved access to high quality health care and to prepare for the next pandemic,” stated CMS Administrator Chiquita Brooks-LaSure.
CMS Administrator Chiquita Brooks-LaSure and CMS Deputy Administrator Meena Seshamani
Read: CMS Proposes Physician Payment Rule: https://www.itnonline.com/content/cms-proposes-physician-payment-rule-expand-access-high-quality-care
• “At CMS, we are constantly striving to expand access to high quality, comprehensive health care for people served by the Medicare program,” said CMS Administrator Chiquita Brooks-LaSure. “Integrated, coordinated, whole-person care — which addresses physical health, behavioral health, and social determinants of health — is crucial for people with Medicare, especially those with complex needs,” said Dr. Meena Seshamani.
STCs: Colorado’s Expansion of Coverage
Read: HHS Announces Expanding Health Care Coverage for Nearly 10,000 Coloradans https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/press-releases/hhs-announces-historic-first-nation-program-seeks-expand-coverage-nearly-10000-coloradans
• In late June of 2022, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced approval of Colorado’s request to create the “Colorado Option,” which is a state-specific health coverage plan that increases health coverage enrollment and lowers health care costs.
LAN Executive Forum Co-Chair Mark McClellan
Read: Risk Adjustment Methods and Limitations: https://healthpolicy.duke.edu/publications/future-risk-adjustment-supporting-equitable-comprehensive-health-care
• Executive Forum Co-Chair Mark McClellan partnered with Duke Margolis’ Robert Saunders and Mark Japinga to create a publication addressing risk adjustment methods and challenges that exist amongst alternative payment models.
An American healthcare system that pays for value to the benefit of our patients and communities.
To accelerate the shift to value-based care in order to achieve better outcomes at lower cost.
Our Goal Statement
Accelerate the percentage of US healthcare payments tied to quality and value in each market segment through the adoption of two-sided risk alternative payment models.